Tuesday, December 29, 2009

"I think you're acting a little immature...I'm not acting"

** I'm going to deviate from the eco stories for one post to display a different read...
Old modes of transportation (Kettcar picture is at home!)
Old mode of transportation (my Kettcar picture is at home!)

Picture Sunday morning, I'm watching Spongebob Squarepants, having my coffee/breakfast, when my Mom walks in the front door holding something that brings age 7 to the front of my brain.

My 'go kart' as I called it- even though the actual name was Kettcar- was a prized Christmas present at age 7. I was pretty much glued to it until I couldn't be anymore. When a younger cousin was big enough to ride it, and since I'd sadly outgrown it, my Mom passed it on. I was shattered to release it-I could still, sort of ride it, after all!

When my Mom appeared Sunday with the very toy we'd given away years ago, (a gift for my step brother's little 3 year old boy!) you'd better believe I was on it pedaling as it as soon as it was placed on the floor! A picture of ridiculousness, a 23 year old, riding through the living and dining rooms on a toy with a suggested age range of 7-12! But looking ridiculous, in my book, pretty much defines a good time!

I was always one of the kids playing with dolls/toys when my counterparts were into makeup, etc. A backpack with my American girl doll, Samantha, peeking out the top,for example, while others had tucked theirs inside or perhaps in closets or forgotten boxes. This often discarded childlike mindset is among several things I've to thank my Mom for. When my tug of war with growing up pulled further towards adult victory, she always reminded me, "you have the rest of your life to be an adult, enjoy being a kid while/for as long as you can." These words will surely remain with me and be dispensed onto my little people someday.

Although, I'm obviously (as you can see in the pictures) too big to ride it, part of me will always battle to retain the little kid that's now all grown. It won't ever matter that I'm 23 years old biologically, a university student, and far exceeding the time when I should be playing with toys like these-or eating kids cereal/food (like cartoon shaped mac and cheese!) In some ways, I often think how much better it is to be a big kid, than the alternative-no matter how ridiculous I may look.

Not much difference now...except it is much more difficult to pedal!
Not much difference now...except it is much more difficult to pedal!


*quote in title from Gilmore Girls- Season 1, episode 10, Forgiveness and Stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment