Saturday, February 23, 2013

American health care - be aware of being uninsured!

Being sick stinks - big time.  It sucks even more if you are unemployed and uninsured.

Just wanted to pop a quick post up to highlight points about health care for those who may be currently uninsured, those who may become uninsured (through job loss, removal from parents' health care plan, etc.) and those who aren't sure about any of how health care works.

I've been lucky enough to always have health care provided by my parents, even when I was not covered by an employer or university etc.  Then, when I moved abroad I was also covered by UK health care.

After recently moving home to the US, I became, for the first time in my life, uninsured and also unemployed.

It wasn't a problem, until it was.

I got sick last December the month that I relocated back home, and luckily, was able to beat the virus with over-the-counter products.  Like a fool, I waited to apply for Medicaid (as I don't currently have a job) and now, I'm paying the price.  I have recently gotten sick with another virus, this time, one that won't be treated with over-the-counter drugs.  Robitussin can only do so much!

After finally doing the Medicaid research that I had put off before, I was told that after sending in my paperwork, it'll take about 45 business days to process and get me enrolled in the program.

This means that the current virus I have will only be able to be cured by antibiotics which I'll have to get from visiting an Urgent Care location near my home.

I'll have to pay almost $100 for the check-up/assessment and more if I need lab tests done.  Let's pray for an easy diagnosis with no lab tests involved!

Then, my medicine costs will also need to be paid out-of-pocket.

The good news -
  • If you look into this early, when you know you will become uninsured, most people who are unemployed will be covered and eligible for Medicaid.  
  • Any bills that you accrued for medical treatment at least three months or under before being approved for Medicaid will be covered by the insurance too - once you are approved.  Receipts will need to be sent to the Social Services Department to get your money back.

So, my lesson - and what I hope I've taught you - is to make sure you are on the alert about your health care and get your paperwork filed and mailed BEFORE you will need coverage.  Otherwise, you could end up with a hefty bill (even if the money will end up being returned to me, it's still cash out of my pocket) and a longer recovery time.  And let's face it, no-one likes to be sick!

Stay informed, don't slack on your health needs and keep healthy everyone! 



No comments:

Post a Comment